Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MTAL #7

We found another winner! It came more from desperation at having nothing to eat than from real inspiration. I was putting off my monthly shopping trip one more day and started scrounging in the pantry for just one more meal.

Fried Polenta
  1. Make some polenta according to package directions. Pour into a greased loaf pan or narrow container. Let cool completely in refrigerator.
  2. Remove polenta from container and slice into 1/2-inch slices. Fry up some bacon in a skillet. Fry polenta slices in the bacon grease (supplemented with canola oil as needed) until crispy and golden brown.
  3. Serve with maple syrup, jelly, or honey (or whatever else might float your boat).

The final product: really good. It reminded me of something my grandmother used to make me when I was growing up: fried mush. I have since found out that it is essentially the same thing (fried mush uses ground corn meal with a bit of sugar added and cooked in much the same fashion). I thought her's was different because it was white but I have since seen white corn meal at Target so that explains that. Asher adored this even without the syrup and the rest of us really liked it too. It's simple and delicious and a very good Asher-friendly substitute for pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment