Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm sorry...but this will make up for everything

I know it's been a while. I don't have a great excuse. I could blame our move but I think I've already used that one up. I'm out after that so I'll just say, "I'm sorry" and we'll move on.

It's starting to get cool. An actual fall!! After a year in Houston, I'm really excited about cooler weather just so I can break out all the fun, really hearty recipes I have that I ignored for a year. Soup is something that I always love in the fall and this recipe screams FALL.

Harvest Creamy Corn "Choup"

by Rachel Ray


2 Tbsp olive oil
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 to 5 large ears corn, cut off the cob, or 1 (10-oz) box frozen corn
1 medium or 2 small zucchini, chopped
1 lb small potatoes, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 bay leaf
5 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
1 tsp paprika
salt and black pepper
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 qt chicken stock
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream

Heat the olive oil in medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the hot oil and cook until crisp at the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions, corn, zucchini, potatoes, and bell pepper as you get them chopped. Add the bay leaf, thyme sprigs, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the veggies begin to soften. Sprinkle the flour around the pot, and stir and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the stock and bring up to a bubble. When it thickens up a bit, stir in the milk and cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and discard bay leaf. Season the choup with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.

Serves 4.

The ingredients:


Veggies cooking in bacon grease has to be the best smell ever. Seriously, it's awesome.


The veggies are all soft. Here is where I stop and smell the pot. Inhale the deliciousity.


Simmering in the broth. This is right before adding the milk and cream.


The final product: I don't know how to express how wonderful this soup is. The name "choup" comes from a cross between chowder and soup. That's a good description because this is creamy like a chowder but not quite as thick. It's got a warm, smoky flavor from the bacon and the vegetables are delicious (not to mention really pretty all mixed up together). Enjoy a big bowl of this...soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment