Friday, August 9, 2013

Tacos!!

My kids like to complain about food.  I know that's not unique.  A lot of kids are picky eaters.  Unfortunately I have a group of them.  Luckily, my oldest is starting to come around and try some new things.  The middle two, though, will complain about the dinner presented virtually every night.  One doesn't like to eat meat.  The other is afraid of anything that might include a vegetable...or maybe an interesting sauce.  Many nights both of them will refuse to even try their dinners.  It's immensely frustrating, especially to someone who likes to express love through making food.  Why won't they accept my love?!!  In all seriousness, there is usually a battle at dinnertime...unless I make tacos.  For reasons unbeknownst to me, tacos is the one meal that all will happily eat.  Therefore, we have tacos quite a bit, at least a couple times a month.  We make them simply, without all the fancy toppings.  Mostly it's because that would be too much for me to plan and have on hand so frequently.  Also, I'm afraid if I try to put a vegetable or sauce on them, I'll spook the kids and break the magical spell.  If you're going to have some very simple tacos, you're are going to need some really good meat.  Here's a recipe for some really good meat.
Tacos
barely adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 pound meat (lean beef, pork, or turkey all work great)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
  1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, spices and salt.  Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  2. Add meat, breaking up with a spoon, and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.  Stir in tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and brown sugar and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.  
  3. Serve with warmed (or homemade if you're feeling really fancy) taco shells and all the toppings your heart desires.

1 comment:

  1. These sound good! I have a very picky eating child as well (my oldest)....so, I understand the frustration since I too like to cook & try new things!

    ReplyDelete