Friday, October 7, 2011

Lime!!

I love lime. A lot. Especially since I was pregnant with Elias...I craved lime like crazy and it still makes me pretty happy. Enter Key lime pie.

Key Lime Pie

from Better Homes and Gardens

1 baked pie crust
3 eggs
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice or bottled Key lime juice
3 Tbsp water
few drops green food coloring (optional)
1 recipe whipped cream
  1. Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue or another use.
  2. For filling, in a medium bowl beat egg yolks with wire whisk or fork. Gradually whisk or stir in sweetened condensed milk; add lime juice, water and food coloring (if desired). Mix well (mixture will thicken).
  3. Spoon thickened filling into pie shell. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill pie for 3 to 4 hours. Meanwhile prepare whipped cream. Spread over chilled pie and serve.
The finished product: tangy and satisfying. I'm not a huge fan of meringue so I skipped that, but the result was still super delicious. Try it when you're looking for something tropical.

No comments:

Post a Comment