Sunday, September 11, 2011

MTAL #8

It's time. My summer hiatus is over and now it is time to start posting all the things I tried this summer. There's actually quite a bit of ground to cover, including my quest to conquer the pie. We better get started.

Chicken Cacciatore
from Cybele Pascal's Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

3 1/2-4 1/2 lbs chicken pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp poultry seasoning (which I never have so I use thyme instead; Pascal recommends equal parts thyme and sage if you have those)
1/2 cup white wine

4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 onion, cut into about 10 wedges
12 mushrooms, cut in half (I use a whole cup)
8 black olives (which I omit)
2 cups red sauce (bought or homemade)
2 cups canned tomatoes
salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and pat dry chicken pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in oven safe casserole (such equipment would be great but since I don't have that, I use my largest skillet and then the largest baking pan I have). Brown chicken pieces skin side down, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 the poultry seasoning, reserving the rest for later. Flip chicken and cook the other side until slightly browned. Sprinkle with rest of seasoning. Remove from pan. You may have to cook the chicken in several batches, adding more oil as necessary.
  2. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp oil and pour in the wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up browned bits that have stuck to the bottom. Put carrots, onions, and mushrooms (and olives if using) in the pan and stir slightly. If using a separate baking dish, transfer vegetables and sauce to dish. Cover with chicken pieces. Combine the red sauce with canned tomatoes. Spoon over the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover pan or dish.
  3. Cook cover for about 1 1/2 hours. Serve over rice (for Asher) or over hot noodles (such as linguine).
Serves 4-6.

This is actually a picture from clear back in May but as this recipe has become a staple in our household, it remains relevant.
The finished product: delicious! This is actually my second recipe for cacciatore but it's also my favorite. The sauce is good but the vegetables are what really sell it for me. I'm kind of a sucker for cooked carrots. This is great comfort food and yet it's so colorful and pretty that it's great for entertaining too. As I mentioned, it has definitely made its way onto our list of staple family meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment