Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Italian Pork and Beans

This is the first post since the Friday before my son was born. Yay for having my head above water for the first time in quite a while!

Here's a super yummy recipe that just so happens to be allergen-free. That means that Asher could eat it. Now if we can only get this almost-2-year-old to try it. Silly boy.

Rachael Ray's Italian Pork and Beans

3 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 pound pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
2 celery ribs with leafy tops, finely chopped
2 to 3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 fresh or dried bay leaf
2 (15 oz) cans white bean, drained
salt and black pepper
1 cup chicken stock
2 cups tomato sauce

Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes or until crisp. Add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaf and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the white beans and season liberally with salt and pepper, then stir in the stock and tomato sauce and cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve the pork and beans in shallow bowls with crusty bread for mopping.
I didn't have pancetta but I did have a lot of bacon. Mmm...bacon. That'll work.
The bacon and vegetables cooking. It smelled divine.
I have a whole lot of dry beans in my pantry but have yet to do anything with them. This was my first attempt. I soaked the beans.
It was shortly after I had added them to the vegetables that I realized that soaked dry bean are not the same as canned beans. Oops!
That wasn't too big of a problem though. I just simmered the entire mixture for an hour and a half. The resulting product was really, really good. I've had it for lunches for the last three days in a row and if I had more, I'm sure I would continue eating it for days. The flavors are strong but delightful. This is one comfort food that I most definitely recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment