Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Marshmallows

Homemade Marshmallows. I didn't even know it was possible until I found a recipe on this site. I was intrigued so I looked around a bit for other recipes. Apparently they were all the rage a little over a year ago. Who knew? Obviously not me. They sounded like fun and a good opportunity to try out the new stand mixer (it can be done with a handheld but doesn't sound like fun).
I chose this recipe because I already follow this blog (and I get weird excitement from actually trying recipes from the blogs I follow) and it seemed simplest. I also found this recipe and will try it another time (it doesn't have eggs so my son would actually be able to eat them).

Homemade Marshmallows
from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 envelopes (2 Tbsp plus 2 1/2 tsp) unflavored gelatin (less than 1 complete pkg)
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1 Tbsp vanilla
  1. Oil bottom and sides of a 9x13x2-inch metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some powdered sugar.
  2. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water, and let stand to soften.
  3. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a thermometer registers 240F, about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
  4. With a standing or hand-held mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes if using standing mixer or 10 minutes if using a hand-held.
  5. In a separate medium bowl with cleaned beaters beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan . Sift 1/4 cup powdered sugar evenly over top. Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
  6. Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up one corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and ease onto cutting board. With a large knife (or oiled pizza cutter) trim edges of marshmallow and cut marshmallow into roughly 1-inch cubes. Sift remaining powdered sugar back into your now-empty baking pan, and roll the marshmallows through it, on all 6 sides before shaking off the excess and packing them away.

Makes approximately 96 1-inch cubed marshmallows.

Ingredients (please excuse the photos; our camera is broken so all pictures are from the camera on my cell phone).
The oiled and sugared pan. I was trying an experiment with graham cracker crumbs on half the marshmallows. I was looking to make a smore in one step. I think I'll have to keep trying because while not horrible, it wasn't the effect I was looking for.
Beautiful marshmallowness. The beating seemed to take longer than 6 minutes but I don't know precisely how long it took. I'm really glad I wasn't having to stand there and hold the mixer that long. Such freedom!
Finished marshmallow goo. It's white and very pretty. Just don't touch because you'll never get free if you do (think strings of melted marshmallow everywhere).
Marshmallow sheet out of the fridge and ready to be cut. It's surprisingly springy.
Cut up marshmallows. After this comes my very favorite part of this recipe. After cutting the marshmallows, you roll them in powdered sugar. I found the best (and certainly most enjoyable) way to get the excess sugar off the marshmallow is to simply bounce the marshmallow off a clean corner of the baking pan. It's super fun and made me giggle like a fool.
And another super fun part of making marshmallows at home is trying fun things with them, like dunking them in chocolate or rolling them in graham cracker crumbs. Those were the only things I tried with this rendition but I'm sure you come up with all sorts of creative flavor combinations (like toffee pieces or sprinkles for a little crunch).
The final product: homemade marshmallows are way, way better than the store-bought variety. They're light and airy with a delightful amount of sweetness. Seriously, so good. Try them.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you posted this recipe. They were amazingly yummy! I wish I could have heard you giggle like a fool. :-)

    Kendall

    ReplyDelete